Zoo and Butterfly Attendant
Are you a budding zoologist, or an avid animal lover looking for a fun summer job? Do you enjoy interacting with people of all ages, sharing your passion for wildlife? If so, Zoo Boise invites you to apply for the position of Zoo Farm and Butterfly Attendant.
- Oversees visitor experience at Zoo Boises Zoo Farm during operating hours
- Provides customer service to patrons and ensures the farm viewing area and yard are tidy and maintained
- This position is open to all interested persons age 18 or above
- This position usually works 32-40 hours/week, up to five months
- Is designated as At-Will
Informs and educates the public regarding the zoo farm and conservation. Keeps feeder machines and hand sanitizer stations stocked, clean and in working condition. Ensures visitor area is clean and tidy and assists staff with maintaining the yard. (100%)
Performs other duties as assigned. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time. Total Percentage = 100%
Required Knowledge, Experience, And Training
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent
- Customer service techniques
- Stand for long periods of time, pay attention to detail
- Interact with the public and volunteers in a friendly and informative manner, display an attitude of cooperation and work harmoniously with all levels of city employees, the general public and other organizations
- Communicate effectively in the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance, complete assignments in a timely fashion
- Understand and comply with all rules, policies and regulations
- Maintain prompt and regular attendance, perform all essential and marginal functions as assigned by an authorized employee, supervisor and/or manager with or without reasonable accommodation
Applicants must be able to pass:
- City of Boise background check processes which includes a criminal history check and reference checks in accordance with the City of Boise Hiring Process RegulationDrug Free Workplace: In accordance with the City of Boise Drug-Free Workplace Regulation, this position is designated as safety-sensitive and is subject to testing requirements including Post Offer Applicant Testing, Random Testing, Reasonable Suspicion, Post – Accident, etc. Applicants will be required to submit to screening for illegal drug use prior to hiring. Appointment to this position is contingent upon a negative pre-employment drug test.
- Proof of negative TB test in last 12 months or ability to attain upon hire.
- This position has responsibilities that require the person to work with minors or individuals with disabilities.
The physical effort characteristics and working environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is always lifting/carrying up to 20 pounds. Also, the employee is always pushing/pulling up to 20 pounds. Work includes the sensory ability to talk, hear, smell and touch. Work in this position also includes close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception. Employees will sit, stand, walk, run, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, grasp, climb and balance. Position requires hand/finger dexterity.
The work environment will include inside conditions, outdoor weather conditions, extreme temperatures, wet and humid conditions, and areas of dust, odors, mist, gases or other airborne matter. Employees are exposed to mechanical hazards. Work includes protected exposure to infectious bacteria, bodily fluids, and chemicals.
This position works weekends, evenings and holidays as necessary.
Top talent deserves top-notch benefits. The City is among the best in the Treasure Valley when it comes to the benefits and perks we offer our employees.
Most positions are eligible for the general benefits listed here firefighters, police officers, senior managers, command staff, and directors may be offered other benefit plans.
Healthcare- ZERO premium medical coverage for you and your family:
- Low-cost dental and vision options.
- Post-employment health savings account.
- PERSI retirement benefits
- 401(k) or 457b pre-tax investment options with employer match.
- 457b Roth after-tax investment options with no match
- Up to $500 cash per year for participants.
- Alternative transportation incentives.
- 8 hours of vacation per month, and this increases the longer you stay with the City
- 11 paid holidays every year
- 8 hours of sick leave per month
- Six weeks Parental Leave
- Basic Life insurance at no cost to you
- Long Term Disability insurance at no cost to you
- Pre-tax Flexible Spending Accounts
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Supplemental Disability Insurance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Free local bus pass
- Corporate discount programs
- Employee Assistance Program for short-term counseling on work, family, finances, and personal issues.