Student Conductor – Hahnville, LA
Starting Pay: $19.00 per hour
The Student Conductor will work with crews to perform the safe switching of railcars, using locomotive power, based on customer requests. Switch crews are responsible for performing jobs efficiently and following all company and customer safety rules and completing corresponding paperwork at the end of every shift.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Demonstrate predictable, reliable, and timely attendance
- Follow written and verbal directions to complete assigned tasks on schedule.
- Read, write, and communicate in English & understand basic math.
- Learn from directions, observations, and mistakes and apply procedures using good judgment
- Inspects locomotive before run to verify specified fuel, sand, water, and all other requirements.
- Reads switching orders from designated person.
- Observes radio and hand signals in yard or in cab and operates locomotive in accordance with company and customer rules and regulations.
- Observes arm or lantern signal and moves controls to move locomotive backwards or forwards to switch and couple cars or receives starting signal and moves control such as throttle and air brakes to operate locomotive.
- Talks to crew or other yard workers via radio to give or receive switching information.
- May assist workers to throw switches or perform other activities involved when performing switching operations.
- Turns hand brake wheel or ratchet type brake as well as apply and release handbrakes.
- Observes track to detect obstructions.
- Inspects locomotive after run to detect damaged or defective equipment.
- Maintains records, number, origin, destination, and cargo of cars switched.
- May coordinate activities of switching crew from locomotive cab, or other on-site location.
- Raises coupling lever to couple or uncouple cars.
- Throws track switches to facilitate shunting of cars and signals
- Move cars, using lantern, hand signals or radio.
- Connects air hose to cars when making up trains by bending and applying force.
- Sits or rides in cab of locomotive to observe signals from other crew members.
- May make minor repairs to couplings, and air hoses and report any equipment requiring major repairs.
- Performs other duties as requested or required
Machines, Tools, Special Equipment, Personal Protective Equipment Used
Hammers, ratchets, chisel, pry bar, wrenches, and brushes.
- PPE hard hat, vest, safety glasses, FR clothing, gloves, steel toed boots
Education and Experience
High school education or general education development (GED).
- Ability to pass training and required testing.
- Valid drivers license.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a team member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The team member is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions and elements, noise, and fumes from gas, oil, and grease.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by team members assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.