Secretary to Boards/Commissions – SR-18 Job in County of Hawaii
One (1) immediate permanent full-time vacancy with the Department of Water Supply – Administration Division in Hilo.
The eligible list may be used for other permanent and temporary vacancies as they arise during the life of the list. Temporary appointment may lead to conversion to permanent appointment.
(For the immediate vacancy with the Department of Water Supply, appointment may be made at any rate within the salary range advertised above at which appropriate qualified applicants can be recruited. Starting salary will be based on the qualifications of the person selected.)
- Reviews correspondence and other materials presented to the board and/or commission for consideration
- Prepares and distributes agenda for board and/or commission meetings.
- Assembles necessary reports, background data, and supporting materials on matters to be covered for board and/or commission meetings and public hearings.
- Arranges logistics for meetings and hearings.
- Takes, records, and transcribes minutes of meetings, conferences, and hearings.
- Prepares verbatim transcripts and minutes.
- Prepares subpoenas and required notices of meetings and hearings.
- Finalizes complaints, orders to show cause, findings of fact, resolutions, ordinances etc. as prepared by staff attorneys or other departmental personnel.
- Composes and finalizes correspondence for the signature of the board and/or commission chairperson.
- Sets up, codes, and maintains files of correspondence, reports, minutes, confidential materials, and other documents. May serve as custodian of records on matters related to the board and commissions.
- Takes and transcribes dictation of letters, memoranda, reports, and other materials from the board and/or commission and director.
- Maintains files of reports and correspondence pertaining to the program and cases of the board and/or commission.
- May provide technical guidance and supervision to assigned staff on matters related to board and/or commission related matters.
- Receives office callers and telephone calls, answering inquiries, and giving information on board and/or commission policies, programs, and agenda.
- Compiles statistics and data for reports as required by the board and/or commission.
- Makes arrangements for members to attend seminars, conferences, training sessions, field trips, etc.
- Performs other clerical duties as assigned by the director.
- May assist in the preparation of the agency budget.
- May assist the Private Secretary as directed by the director.
Training and Experience:
A combination of training and experience substantially equivalent to:
- graduation from high school, and
- five (5) years of secretarial, stenographic or substantive clerical experience, of which
- one (1) year shall have included taking and transcribing minutes of meetings, conferences, hearings, or similar proceedings, and
- possession of a valid State of Hawaii drivers license (Class 3) or any other valid comparable motor vehicle operators license at time of filing, as applicable to the position. You will be required to submit your valid drivers license at time of hire, if the position requires a valid drivers license. (The immediate vacancy with the Department of Water Supply requires a valid drivers license).
Please read the minimum qualification requirements carefully. Be certain to list all pertinent training and experience. It is essential that the applicant describe fully the duties and responsibilities of each position held, specify the date of each position held (from and to, month and year), and indicate the number of hours worked per week.
Attach all required documentation (e.g. official transcript, professional license(s)/certification(s), DD-214, etc.) at the time of submitting your application.
Note: In-person interviews and/or further testing in Hawaii County may be required at the discretion of the hiring department/agency. If in-person interviews and/or further testing are required, applicants who are referred to the hiring department/agency must be available to participate in person and at their own expense at that phase of the selection process.
Ability to: type or keyboard at a rate of 40 net words per minute which applicants may be required to demonstrate by satisfactorily passing an assessment exercise at the time of interview; take dictation at the rate of 100 words per minute and transcribe notes accurately which applicants may be required to demonstrate by satisfactorily passing an assessment exercise at the time of interview; understand and interpret laws, ordinances, and regulations; summarize and brief materials; use initiative in organizing and completing work; compose correspondence; give and follow oral and written instructions; deal tactfully and effectively with employees, board and/or commission member, government officials, and the public; work harmoniously with others.
Physical Requirement: Persons seeking appointment to positions in this class must meet the health and physical condition standards deemed necessary and proper to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
Physical Effort Grouping: Light
Please scan and attach these supporting documents to your on-line application, if required:
- an official college transcript,
- a valid drivers license,
- a temporary assignment verification,
- professional licenses, and/or
ELECTRONIC NOTIFICATION TO APPLICANTS:
Please ensure that the email address and contact information you provide is current, secure, and readily accessible to you. We will not be responsible in any way if you do not receive our emails or fail to check your email box or NEOGOV account INBOX in a timely manner. Checking your NEOGOV account INBOX daily is recommended and is the most secure method to check on notices sent to you. This is a new feature created by our vendor, NEOGOV.
Please add [email protected] to your contact list. Open your NEOGOV account using your user name and password. In the upper right hand corner of the account is your name, and under your name, click on INBOX to view all notices sent you. The notices will appear here in the INBOX even in the event you dont receive it on your cell phone, computer, or other electronic device. This is the best way to check and view all notices sent to you.
You will receive a confirmation email upon successfully submitting your application. Failure to receive this confirmation email, indicates that your application was not submitted.
- sick leave and vacation earnings
- paid holidays
- social security
- credit union membership
- life, dental, medical, vision, and prescription
- employee-employer paid retirement plan
- flexible spending plan
- tax-sheltered savings and investment program
- career opportunity and mobility in a merit system for
Persons who are hired may be required to pay union dues/service fees.
Benefits for part-time employment is based on hours worked and type of appointment.
Benefits are subject to change due to legislative, collective bargaining negotiation, and other changes.