Alliant Energy is looking for people to join our Pre-Apprenticeship opportunities in the following areas:
- Mason City, IA
- Dubuque, IA
- Fort Madison, IA
- Clinton, IA
The Pre-Apprentice role is paid training opportunity for individuals with a strong work ethic and willingness to learn the skills needed to transition into an Alliant Energy line or gas mechanic apprenticeship position.
For six to 18 months, you will engage in a combination of classroom and on-the-job training, working alongside our crews to ensure the efficient and safe delivery of gas and electric service to our customers. We have an exceptional training staff making the program well rounded, energizing, and valuable.
Pre-Apprentices will have the ability to apply for apprenticeship opportunities as they become available. This program is intended for individuals with little to no utility education and experience (students and graduates of EPD or Gas schools should apply for our Apprentice openings).
Our teams are supported by strong leadership and have a trusted commitment to safety and ethics. We have a dedicated safety team that supports our crews and each employee is provided training and development to succeed, empowering them to grow and advance. Our employees live and work in and around the communities we serve. We know the people, places and businesses of these areas. This local connection is key to our success in delivering on our Purpose to serve customers and build stronger communities.
Learn more: https://www.alliantenergy.com/aboutus/careers/careerprograms/degreesintheenergyindustry
Note that this program is intended for individuals without utility experience to learn these skills on the job.
- Maintains and assists with install of gas underground distribution systems.
- Maintains and uses gas and electric related equipment as assigned such as trucks, digging, boring, lifting, drilling, and locating equipment, etc
- Assists with appliance inspections, pilot relighting, customer pipe and equipment, leak detection, meter exchanges, pipe joining
- Locates gas and electric underground utility facilities, reads gas meters
- Learn how to install and maintain transformers, conductors, regulators, breakers, switches, fuses, street lighting equipment, lightning arrestors, etc
- Works on energized lines and equipment and with live line maintenance tools.
- Keeps informed on and abides by the required Safety Rules, Operating Practices and codes pertaining to all phases of line work.
- Maintains proper line clearances and trims trees
- May be required to perform strenuous labor indoors and outdoors with exposure to temperature extremes, weather, dirt, dust and grease.
The requirements listed below are representative of the experience, knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to perform this job.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to understand and follow instructions, particularly in stressful situations
- Ability to perform semi-skilled physical labor (ex. dig holes, climb ladders)
- Ability to work effectively in a culturally diverse work group.
Applications will be accepted until a qualified pool is received.
Alliant Energy is committed to providing an inclusive work environment for all and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer where an applicants qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this dedication, Alliant Energy works to ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations.
All candidates selected for employment with Alliant Energy will be required to successfully complete a drug screen and background check.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been crafted to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not crafted to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $29.09 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
Work Location: Multiple Locations