Ordinary Seaman Job in Brice Marine, LLC
The Ordinary Seaman holds a position as entry-level deckhand with additional duties in the engine room and is a qualified member of the deck department that may work as a watch stander and/or day work.
This position can expect a market competitive salary, the best health benefits plan options, competitive 401(k) contributions, and holiday pay as outlined in our Company handbook Addendum.
- Performs duties in a safe and seamanlike manner in accordance with all company policies, procedures and state and federal regulations.
- Study the safety manual, company policy manual, and other material provided by the company. This is essential to smoothly integrate an entry-level deckhand into a useful, safe member of a vessel crew.
- Assist with the loading, lashing, unlashing and discharge of cargo.
- Complete only tasks for which this position has been trained for. When in doubt ask for clarification or instructions on any procedures and/or policies.
- Cleans the tug and barges and assists with the handling of fuel and freight.
- Act as lookout and maintain watch on deck and in the engine room.
- Assist engineer when required.
- Handle mooring lines and operate deck machinery.
- Increase levels of responsibility as knowledge increases and skills and abilities are proficient, with approval from senior crew members.
- Observes and complies with all company safety policies and procedures.
- Work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner.
- Perform other projects and duties as assigned
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of equipment, policies, procedures to promote the safe and effective operations of a cargo vessel.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for moving cargo by sea.
- Advanced knowledge on appropriate use of the emergency equipment located on the boat.
- Ability to perform tasks and solve practical problems normally encountered by a deckhand, including knot selections and tying, hazard avoidance, and safely responding to orders.
- Ability to use vehicles and equipment necessary to perform tasks of deckhand.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate in English.
- Ability to perform basis arithmetic, including: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Ability to be reliable, responsible, and dependable and able to fulfill obligations.
- Ability to accept feedback and criticism.
- Ability to be careful about details and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Ability to solve problems, make clear rational decisions in a crisis, and clearly formulate and communicate instruction, coupled with the ability to perform both short and long-term planning to accomplish vessel and company goals.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Ability to remain focused and aware of surroundings.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle in a safe and efficient manner.
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- A high school diploma or equivalent required.
- Current Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) with Ordinary Seaman (OS) endorsement required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment background check and drug screen
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The length of navigation season in Western and Interior Alaska is dictated by the spring break-up of the ice and the low water and return of ice in late fall. The actual navigation season lasts approximately 180 days. Crews normally work the entire season, 7 days a week, 12 hours per day, without any time off other than vessel downtime. The work can be emotionally challenging and requires a stable, well-adjusted personality.
While underway, the deckhand works a 12-hour shift at the direction of the Captain or Chief Mate.
The demands described here are representative and not necessarily all of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities. If corrective glasses are worn, a spare pair must be kept on the vessel and a copy of the prescription must be in the employee’s personnel file.
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. For a complete list of the demands, please email the Human Resource Department.
Occasionally: Sitting, Crawling, Climbing, Reaching Overhead, Crouching, Kneeling, Pushing or Pulling, Talking, Grasping, Lifting 51 to 100 lbs, Carrying 51 to 100 lbs, Fine Manipulation, Communication Using Effective Written Communication, Making Decisions, Adjusting to Changes, Inside Exposed to Hot/Heat/Cold, Outside Exposed to Hot/Humid Temperatures, Hazards Biological, Hazards Chemical, Hazards Electrical, Unprotected Spaces High Places/High Heights, Constricted Spaces (Underground), Dirty (Soil), Dry, Fumes, Gases, Odors, Dust, Grease, Oil, Mud, Hot Temperature Devices Burners, Hot Temperature Devices Flame Torches, Working Alone.
Frequently: Standing, Walking, Bending Over, Balancing, Repetitive Use of Legs, Lifting 10 lbs or less up to 50 lbs, Carrying 10 lbs or less up to 60 lbs, Eye/Hand Coordination (Foot), Thinking Analytically, Communication Using Effective Verbal Communication, Remember Details, Examining/Observing Details, Outside Exposed to Cold Temperatures, Hazards Sharp Objects/Tool, Heavy Machinery, Moving Mechanical Parts, Noise, Vibration, Wet/Slippery Floors/Surfaces, Working w/ Others.
Continuously: Close Vision, Distance Vision, Color Vision, Peripheral Vision, Depth Perception, Handling Stress and Emotions, Concentrating on Tasks, Discriminating Colors.
Preference will be given to Calista shareholders and their descendants and to spouses of Calista shareholders, and to shareholders of other corporations created pursuant to the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act, in accordance with Title 43 U.S. Code 1626(g).
Additionally, it is our policy to select, place, train and promote the most qualified individuals based upon relevant factors such as work quality, attitude and experience, so as to provide equal employment opportunity for all employees in compliance with applicable local, state and federal laws and without regard to non-work related factors such as race, color, religion/creed, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, genetic information, or other protected status. When applicable, our policy of non-discrimination applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, transfer, promotion, placement, layoff, compensation, termination, reduction in force and benefits.
It is Calista and Subsidiaries business philosophy and practice to provide reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities.
The statements contained in this job description are intended to describe the general content and requirements for performance of this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties, responsibilities, and requirements.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter the scope of work within the framework of this job description at any time without prior notice.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Day shift
- Night shift
Work Location: One location