Newport Aquarium Guest Services Lead (Part-Time)
Do you aspire for management and leadership? Our entry-level Guest Services Lead may be the perfect position for you. Take a leading role in providing guests with great, memorable experiences. We seek a dedicated individual who will take charge of a team in carrying out a great guest experience in relation to all Guest Services activities under the support, guidance, and direction of the Guest Services Management. Guest Services Leads are responsible for the proper implementation of daily requirements for guest entrance and exit at the Newport Aquarium, including all aspects of property screening, guest relations, ticket sales, cash handling, ticket taking, general cleaning, general customer service, Annual Pass and Membership sales and processing.
This role is predominately scheduled for Friday, Saturday and Sunday especially through our summer season. Other days are available, yet this position was created to support our busiest summer days.
Newport Aquarium offers amazing perks for all team members. Visit the aquarium whenever you want, share complimentary tickets with friends and family, enjoy discounts on food and beverage, merchandise from our gift shop, and candy from our Sweet Dreams Candy Company. Plus, you can enjoy most of these same benefits and discounts across most of the Herschend Family Entertainment properties.
Looking to pursue or continue your education without the debt? Grow U has hundreds of online programs available from certifications to college prep to associates, bachelors, and masters degrees. Many of these programs are fully-funded. Learn more at: https://www.newportaquarium.com/Careers/Benefits/GrowU
Newport Aquarium, one of the many properties owned by Herschend Family Entertainment, prides itself on bringing families closer together and creating memories worth repeating. Our Core Values – greatly exceeding guest expectations, serving others, creating emotional connections, and constantly improving – give us purpose and guidance.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform, adhere to, and implement all Herschend Family Entertainment Core Values and Newport Aquarium Guest Services Standards, Policies, Procedures, and Safety Protocols to ensure safe and efficient guest services operation, while focused on delivering an excellent guest experience.
- Lead a team of up to 15 people (depending on the season). Responsible for the supervision of all guest services processes and procedures to ensure operational excellence is consistently achieved.
- Help Guest Services Management Team develop and monitor a highly motivated, positive, and productive team.
- Assist in evaluations and training of all Guest Services team members.
- Help implement new policies and procedures when needed.
- Assist and lead Ticketing team to answer incoming guest inquiries via email and/or phone.
- Handle comments, concerns and suggestions from team members and guests regarding the overall guest experience.
- Maintain knowledge of activities, aquatic life, and all Newport Aquarium special events and promotions in order to properly notify and inform guests.
- Maintain a positive and professional attitude as well as a well-kept appearance at all times.
- Must be self-motivated to work independently while continuing to be disciplined, reliable, and accountable.
- Ensure that safety is always kept as a number one priority while working at Newport Aquarium.
- Maintain appropriate guest and team member relations at all times, ensuring guest and team satisfaction.
- Work with other team members and departments of Newport Aquarium to ensure effective communication is implemented at all times.
- Provide on-boarding and ongoing training to team members in order to maintain knowledge of aquarium activities and operations.
- Perform opening and/or closing duties.
- Make certain that proper operating procedures are being adhered to at all times, according to pre-determined guidelines.
- Responsible for maintaining provided Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance.
- On a daily basis monitor and assure that:
- Team members are adequately trained and knowledgeable on various locations and the functions of each position.
- Actively monitor, problem-solve, and ensure the Best Guest Experience/Team Member Experience in direct regards to POS (Point of Sale) operations.
- Locations are adequately staffed with trained and certified team members. Ensure all team members are receiving required breaks.
- All equipment, including PCI, is properly checked and opening procedures are conducted before operation occurs.
- All required paperwork and reports are properly completed.
- Courteous, professional, and active leadership is always being displayed.
- Opening and closing procedures are appropriately implemented.
- Ensuring team members are in correct uniform and maintain a well-kept appearance.
- Ensure that all required record keeping is properly documented.
- Ensure that hourly attendance is continually monitored and documented to provide the best Guest Experience possible.
- Emergency procedures, when necessary, are being safely implemented according to policy.
- Staff is intentionally providing the best Guest Experience possible.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by Guest Services Management Team.
- High school diploma or two years other direct applicable experience preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel is a plus
- Prior cash handling and point of sale experience is a plus
- Must have strong public speaking skills and the ability to read, write and speak the English language (knowledge of other languages is a plus)
- Must be able to think clearly, and react quickly to changes and/or emergency situations
- Previous supervisory experience preferred. Previous guest services or retail experience preferred
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes evenings, weekends and/or holidays
- Successful completion of pre-employment background check
- Ability to remain on feet for long periods of time, climb stairs, bend and stoop
- Physical strength, including the ability to lift up to 25 pounds
YOU CAN EXPECT:
You can expect to work on projects that have never been done before – ideas that are unproven, and concepts that make people smile. You can expect to have fun and be treated with respect the minute you start…and through to the end. You can expect to work in an environment that is highly innovative and low in politics – truthful and filled with smart people!
And most of all, you can expect to work hard and make a difference in our world by helping to bring families closer together.