NCC Department of Community Services
In accordance with the Merit System Rules and Regulations, an eligible list, which will be valid for a one-year period and which will be used to fill vacancies during that period, is being established for this classification. Applicants on the eligible list will be certified in accordance with the Merit System and appropriate union contracts.
Candidates may submit online employment applications using the NEOGOV online application system available at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/nccde.
EXAMINATION PROCESS: The examination process for this posting may include an evaluation of training and experience, a written examination, a computerized exam, an oral board interview examination, a performance examination or any combination of the above in order to qualify applicants for placement on the eligible list. The eligible list will be used to fill vacancies that occur within the next year. The appropriate number of names on the eligible list as prescribed by Merit System Section 26.03.505 will be certified to the hiring department for consideration to fill the vacant position(s).
New employees are generally hired at the starting salary and may be eligible for merit increases each year upon receipt of a satisfactory performance evaluation, up to the maximum salary.
New Castle County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Coordinates the artistic direction, design, production and advertisement of the brand, message, and program calendar of New Castle County Department of Community Services utilizing websites, print, social media, didactics, video, publications and public presentations. Coordinates the overall activities of the Community Services Department by developing, implementing and overseeing programs staffing facilities and providing essential services to the community through effective interaction among the various units of the department and other departments within the County does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: An employee in this class assists the Community Services Department Manager in planning, controlling and coordinating marketing activities and staff of the Community Services Department to promote and maintain the highest quality of life for New Castle County residents. This employee assists in developing, providing and maintaining a diverse mix of services available and accessible to all which will contribute to the physical, mental, social, informational and cultural needs of County residents. Responsibilities include connecting diverse audiences to the wide array of Community Services activities of recreation, sports, museum, café, festivals, senior services, farmers markets, art studio, libraries, housing and more. The Marketing Coordinator will highlight these activities through print, social media, e-newsletters, didactics, publications, video, and public presentations. Responsibilities include coordinating the various programs both within and outside the department to include coordinating with the media, other governmental and private service providers and community organizations. This employee may be required to work unusual hours including nights, weekends, and holidays at various work sites. This employee works under general direction.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative Only)
- Artistic direction of all advertising associated with the Department of Community Services.
- Approach advertising equitably to attract the widest possible breadth of the county’s population.
- Establish and maintain marketing plan and budget based on annual event calendar and targeted demographics.
- Oversee the content and design of multiple web pages associated the Department of Community Services under the New Castle County web platform, assist in training location staff to monitor their own web content.
- Organizes multiple e-newsletters, examples include Rockwood Park & Museum, the Arts Studio at the Absalom Jones Community Center, Glasgow Park and Happenings
- Oversee content direction and advertising frequency of social media sites associated with the Department of Community Services.
- Technical and creative writing such as articles, content, and press releases.
- Oversee design of festival and special program advertisements and signage
- Negotiate paid advertisement placement and frequency.
- Manage annual budget.
- Seek in-kind marketing support and maintain marketing networks.·
- Coordinates the delivery of all services provided by the department, including but not limited to recreational, cultural, educational, libraries, programs for seniors, housing assistance and community development
- Develops, implements and oversees programs and activities located throughout the county including hiring of part time staff and contractors, and planning for programs, activities and special events.
- Develops programmatic connections among the various units of the department and other departments within the County
- Promotes the sharing of resources and facilitates cooperation among the various program components and activities of the department
- Assists in the development of long- and short-term goals for the department
- Implements policies and procedures for the department as directed by the department manager
- Promotes an ongoing attitude of dedication to excellent public service and ensures that internal and external customers are provided with the highest quality of service
- Interacts with outside agencies, the media, other service providers, community organizations and the public concerning related issues
- Assigns work and supervises staff graphic artist as well as recruit and manage volunteers and student interns
- Works with department staff to develop methods for dealing with departmental issues and in responding to problems or requests received
- Presents information to community groups
- Operates a personal computer, design software and other related equipment in the course of the work.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Good knowledge of current marketing trends strong decision making superior organization skills advocate for equitable representation ability to inspire staff and co-workers with vision and work ethic Good knowledge of the services provided in the area of community services some knowledge of program and budget development ability to coordinate a variety of diverse community service functions and associated staff ability to supervise others ability to communicate courteously and effectively, both verbally and in writing ability to make effective presentations before groups ability to establish and develop effective working relationships with associates, government officials, agencies, private organizations and the public and to promote an ongoing attitude of dedication to excellent customer service ability to analyze complex data, draw valid conclusions and make reliable recommendations.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: At least three years experience in the area of program marketing planning or coordination of a variety of programs or services and possession of a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in design, marketing, public relations, business administration, public administration or related field or an equivalent combination of experience and training directly related to the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to pass a Class III County physical examination and background check.
Office of Human Resources
New Castle County Government
87 Reads Way
New Castle, Delaware, 19720