Library Paraprofessional (30 Hours)
Respond and provide assistance to library customers in the use of library services and equipment participate in developing, preparing, coordinating, scheduling and providing special library programs for both adults and children assist in collection development activities provide technical services to library system including catalog database management, processing and preparing new materials for distribution, receiving and verifying invoices and providing leadership to staff performing library functions.
Job descriptions are intended to present a general list of tasks/duties performed by employees within this job classification. Job Descriptions are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Education and experience directly related to the minimum requirements below may be interchangeable on a year for year basis.
Associates degree from an accredited college or university in library science or general studies and
Three (3) years of experience in an academic, public or special library, or bookstore environment and
To include one (1) year of lead or supervisory experience.
Customer service, educational program development, or social services experience preferred.
Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred.
Possession of a New Mexico Drivers License or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
Possession of a City Operators Permit (COP) within 6 months from date of hire.
- Operations, services and activities of a municipal library
- Methods and techniques of library circulation
- Principles of library reference services
- Principles of efficient and effective customer service
- Office procedures, methods and equipment including computers
- Dewey Decimal Classification System
- Principles and procedures of record keeping
- Principles of business letter writing and basic report preparation
- Available library resources including the reference collection, serials collection and other on-line resources
- Library and City policies and procedures
- Independently perform the most difficult library circulation duties
- Interpret, explain and enforce department policies and procedures
- Operate a variety of library and office equipment in a safe and effective manner
- Perform a variety of reference duties supporting customer requests
- Prepare and coordinate adult and childrens library programs
- Respond to requests and inquiries from the general public
- Prepare clear and concise reports
- Work independently in the absence of supervision
- Communicate clearly and concisely
- Perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work