Instructor & Program Training Coordinator – Fire Service
The Department of Public Service is seeking an Instructor & Program Training Coordinator to work as a part of a team to coordinate the delivery of fire service training programs for the Vermont Fire Academy, both on site and at outreach locations.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Support training events by delivering training props and course materials to training venues.
- Reviews, revises, and recommends adoption of training curricula.
- Recruits, trains, and evaluates instructors.
- Evaluates effectiveness of course content and delivery.
- Directs the delivery of training, enforces organizational guidelines and policies, and provides instructional tools.
- Maintains all required training and certification records and produces reports as required.
- Performs instruction as needed in various fire service topics in the classroom, practical skills training, and live fire settings.
- Performs related duties as required.
The coordination and administrative work occurs in the office setting at the Academy in Pittsford during business hours. This position requires occasional evening and weekend assignments which includes attending meetings, providing instruction, and providing support to training events. A fleet vehicle is provided for work assignments requiring travel away from the work station. A limited remote work option is available, depending upon work requirements.
This position requires the ability to be medically and physically capable of performing the duties of a fire instructor, including the donning and use of personal protective equipment and respiratory protection within environments that are immediately dangerous to life and health (IDLH). Additionally, the ability to drive long distances during the day and at night, operate mid-sized trucks, and tow trailers, is required.
Who May Apply
This position, Instructor & Program Training Coordinator (#47706), is open to all State employees and external applicants.
If you would like more information about this position, please contact Michael Skaza at email@example.com.
Resumes will not be accepted via e-mail. You must apply online to be considered.
PUBLIC SAFETY BACKGROUND CHECKS: Candidates must pass any level of background investigation applicable to the position to include Motor Vehicle/Criminal Records, Personal History, Credit and any additional background check(s).
Duties are performed primarily within a standard office setting, but with significant travel to training locations, for which private means of transportation may be required. Transportation of training equipment and supplies may entail some physical effort. Occasional exposure to products of combustion at live fire training sessions may occur. Outdoor physical work is done in varying weather conditions.
High School diploma or equivalent AND five (5) years or more of experience as a firefighter in a full-time, paid, or volunteer fire department, INCLUDING one (1) year of responsibility for providing fire instruction.
Associates degree in fire science, technical engineering, business, sciences, safety technology, or education.
Certifications: National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) compliant certification at the levels of Firefighter I, Firefighter II, Hazardous Materials Awareness/Operations, and Fire Instructor I.
Must possess a valid driver’s license.
All candidates must pass a security clearance conducted by the Department of Public Safety, including a motor vehicle and criminal background check.
- 80% State paid medical premium
- Dental Plan at no cost for employees and their families
- Flexible Spending healthcare and childcare reimbursement accounts
- Two ways to save for your retirement: A State defined benefit pension plan and a deferred compensation 457(b) plan
- Work/Life balance: 11 paid holidays each year and a generous leave plan many jobs also allow for a flexible schedule
- Low cost group life insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Incentive-based Wellness Program
- Qualified Employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program