HSSD Institutional Law Enforcement Officer Job in Hot Springs School District
HOT SPRINGS SCHOOL DISTRICT
Job Description for
HSSD Institutional Law Enforcement Officer
DEPARTMENT: Support Services JOB STATUS: Full Time
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: N/A REPORTS TO: Superintendent and High School Principal
GRADE/LEVEL: K-12 AMOUNT OF TRAVEL REQUIRED: See Essential Duties
WORK SCHEDULE: Per contracted days
Working under the supervision of the Superintendent, HSSD Chief ILEO, and Building Principals, the HSSD ILEO position is responsible for developing, organizing, and managing the districts safety and security program and emergency management operations. Position establishes and interprets security policies and procedures; evaluates the security program; enforces and implements the districts rules and policies of the student code of conduct to effect positive student behavior in the school.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops, organizes, and manages a district crisis plan in collaboration with district and building leaders.
- Collaborates with community agencies (e.g. law enforcement, courts, mental health,etc.) for the purpose of addressing individual cases and/or taking action regarding the safety and security of the school site.
- Communicates safety and security policies and enforcement procedures to students, staff and visitors for the purpose of ensuring their understanding of such information and the potential consequences of violation.
- Conducts and monitors fire drills, lock downs and other emergency procedure drills for the purpose of complying with established guidelines.
- Escorts students, school personnel and/or visitors for the purpose of providing direction, ensuring safety and providing site security.
- Maintains a variety of files and records (e.g. schedules, incident reports, emergency drill records, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of information for future reference and/or audit for compliance to established policies.
- Monitors student behavior during and between assigned periods and at student events (e.g. lunch room, classrooms, detention, dances, home games, time outs, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring student compliance with established guidelines, maintaining a safe and positive learning environment, and secure facility.
- Participates in meetings, in-service training, workshops, hearings, etc. (court hearings, expulsion hearings, etc.) for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform job functions.
- Patrols school facilities (e.g. grounds, roads, buildings, adjacent areas, parking lots, etc.) for the purpose of providing visibility, maintaining security and deterring criminal activities.
- Prepares written materials (e.g. incident reports, referrals, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written reference, and/or conveying information.
- Provides traffic and parking control for the purpose of maintaining efficient traffic flow and use of parking lot.
- Refers incidents including personal injuries, altercations, suspicious activities, rule violations, etc. to appropriate site personnel and/or city police for the purpose of ensuring follow-up in accordance with administrative, site security and student safety guidelines.
- Responds to a variety of situations (e.9. accidents, injuries, vandalism, suspicious activities, alarms, etc.) for the purpose of taking the appropriate action to resolve immediate safety and/or security concerns.
- Responds to inquiries from students and parents regarding campus security issues for the purpose of providing information, direction and/or referral for addressing inquiry.
- To perform additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by employee’s supervisor, the principal, or the superintendent
*Knowledge of the schools and HSSD policies and procedures
- Evidence of strong commitment to quality education
- Evidence of strong organizational skills
- Evidence of strong oral and written communication skills
Minimum of high school diploma, some college preferred, with an accredited educational institution. Additional training or experience in law enforcement. Other requirements per job description.
Minimum 3 years job related experience, preferably law enforcement. Other requirements per job description.
Certificates & Licenses
Valid Arkansas certificate or license to comply with the necessary requirements to meet the position’s essential duties and responsibilities. Must meet the minimum standard for law enforcement.
Ability to apply basic computer programs (spreadsheet, Microsoft word, Excel, PowerPoint, others) to enhance job performance. (Others could include e-School, e-Finance, HAC/TAC)
Some knowledge of laws and ordinances.
Working knowledge of the geography of the city and the locations of important buildings within the Hot Springs School District.
Ability to observe situations and to report and record them clearly and accurately.
Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergency situations.
Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the school community.
Ability to speak clearly and concisely both in oral and written communication.
Ability to perform duties with awareness of all federal, state, and district requirements.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze and interpret professional documents. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to perform basic math operations to meet job expectations.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with situations appropriately to meet job expectations.
Physical Abilities Lift/Carry
Stand F 10 lbs or less F
Walk F 11 – 20 lbs O
Sit F 21 – 50 lbs O
Handling / Fingering F 51 – 100 lbs N
Reach Outward F Over 100 lbs N
Reach Above Shoulder O
Squat or Kneel O
Push / Pull
12 lbs or less O
26-40 lbs O
N (Not Applicable) Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
O (Occasionally) Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 – 2.S+ hrs/day)
F (Frequently) Occupation requires this activity from 33% – 66% of the time (2.5 – 5.5+ hrs/day)
C (Constantly) Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Other Physical Requirements
Vision (Near, Distance, Color, Peripheral, Depth perception)
Sense of Sound (ability to converse with others, conduct telephone conversations)
The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform with the essential functions.
The HSSD HR Office has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employees ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the HSSD reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the HSSD may deem appropriate.
The Hot Springs School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
It is the policy of the Hot Springs School District not to discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, or disability in its educational programs, activities or employment practices.