Job Locations: US-NC-Tar Heel Your Opportunity:
Join the Smithfield Family!
A great job and a great future await you at Smithfield Foods. As the world’s largest pork processor and largest hog producer in the United States, we’re a $16 billion global food company with more than 55,000 employees. We’re looking for motivated people who want to join our team and grow lasting and meaningful careers with us.
Current opportunities include positions in General Production, Maintenance Mechanics, Quality Assurance and Food Safety.
Our team members receive industry-leading wages and are eligible for great benefits packages:
- General Production Competitive Starting Pay
- $17.65 (per hour) + $.50 (2nd shift differential)
- $1.00 increase after completion of 90 day probationary period
- Comprehensive Health Insurance, Retirement Benefits and More
In addition, we offer opportunities for career growth, professional development, and tuition assistance.
Production employees at Smithfield handle materials and use hand tools, knives, machinery, and equipment to help deliver good food responsibly to America’s dinner table. Production team members at Smithfield perform physically demanding work that requires good hand-eye coordination, attention to detail, strength and stamina. Team members must be available to work scheduled hours, which may include mandatory overtime, depending upon production demands.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
All applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
Applicants must be willing and able to:
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Perform a task requiring continuous/repetitive movement, including grasping, pinching hands, flexing, and extending arms
- Stand on concrete and/or platforms for up to a 12-hour shift
- Work around animal blood and/or carcass parts
- Work with a knife (if trained)
- Work in cold areas (approximately 20-40 degrees) and/or warm areas (over 100 degrees)
- Work in an environment that is wet and humid
- Work while wearing a hard hat, hearing/eye protection, and steel-toed safety shoes
- Work in a noisy environment using personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Work with sanitation/cleaning chemicals
- Work around strong smells/odors
- Climb/move on ladders, steps, stairways, walkways and platforms
- Bend, stoop, and twist repetitively over the course of an entire shift
- Walk long distances
- This work is physically demanding and can require the use of some or all body parts and muscle groups. Some positions may require repetitive overhead lifting up to 30 lbs, single lifting of heavy objects which can weigh up to 60 lbs, or lifting of objects using mechanical assistance.
- Additional essential functions may be applicable to specific jobs.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
Careers and Benefits:
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
Working at Smithfield isnt just a job – its the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. Thats why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield Foods:
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing “Good food. Responsibly®” and serve as one of the worlds leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in our U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathans Famous®, among many others. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by law.