Compensation plans are based on a multi-step progression system. The pay range reflects the entry level and maximum salary potential in the assigned pay grade.
**A starting salary may be negotiated and will be commensurate with education, training and experience in alignment with pay administration policies and MCCP Board Rules & Regulations**
Nature of Work
PRE-EMPLOYMENT MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
- Applicants shall be at least 18 years of age at the time of employment.
- Employment with the City of Montgomery is conditioned upon the potential employee passing a pre-employment drug test. (The drug test will require the submission of a sample of hair, finger nails, and/or urine that will verify illegal drug use.)
- Must possess a diploma from a high school accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the Alabama State Board of Education or possess a General Education Development (GED) certificate. NOTE: A passing GPA from an S.A.C.S. accredited college or university may substitute for the S.A.C.S. accredited high school diploma or GED certificate requirement. This does not include internet colleges or trade school coursework.
- Must be of good moral character and have no record of convictions of a misdemeanor or felony involving violence, force, or moral turpitude.
- Must have a valid drivers license or the ability to obtain a valid Alabama Drivers License prior to employment.
- Must pass the Physical Agility Test (CPAT)
- Must pass a medical exam
- Must meet the Fire Department’s weight requirements
- Must complete a 1-mile run in under 10 minutes
- New employees will be required to successfully complete approximately 22 weeks of Montgomery Fire Department Academy Training including completion of Firefighter I/II certification.
- Must obtain an EMT I State License within six months after becoming a certified Firefighter.
- Beginning on the date of employment, Firefighters are NOT to smoke tobacco products or use smokeless tobacco at ANY time (on or off duty).
- Must be available to respond to emergency incidents while off duty when called upon.
- Must be willing to meet Montgomery Fire Department’s residency requirements.
- Must be willing to work job assignment schedules including 24/48 hours or 0730-1630 hour shifts.
Kind of Examination
Applications are being accepted to fill vacancies that may occur during the life of the register. The current vacancy is with the Montgomery Fire Rescue Department. Applicants will be screened and qualified based on education and experience as shown on the application. For this reason, applicants are urged to fill in the application form completely providing detailed information concerning the kinds of jobs they have held, the dates they held them, where and exactly what their duties were. If there are more than five qualified applicants, an online written examination will be administered in order to rank applicants on the employment register, and tied scores will not be broken. Qualified applicants must also pass a physical agility examination at a later date. If there are five or less qualified applicants, they will be considered equally qualified and placed on the register in alphabetical order.
Complete an online application by visiting Montgomery City-County Personnels Online Employment Center. Paper applications are no longer accepted. Completed applications will be accepted online until 11:59 p.m. on the closing date. If there is no closing date, the announcement may be closed at any time without prior notice.
BENEFITS: Employees are offered a competitive benefits package which includes health, dental, and life insurance, paid annual and sick leave, paid holidays, and a retirement program.
DRUG TEST: Employment may be conditional upon the potential employee passing a pre-employment drug test. (The drug test may require the submission of a sample of hair, finger nails, and/or urine that will verify illegal drug use).
BACKGROUND CHECK: Employment may be conditional upon the potential employee passing a background check. (Candidates will be asked to provide consent prior to the administration of background checks.)