Disaster Preparedness Summer Associate VISTA
Successfully promote and support the mission of Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas as guided by the Catholic Social Teachings by building agency capacity to respond to disasters. Make a difference in your community, building skills and experience while serving as an AmeriCorps VISTA member for the summer. By accepting this service position, you will be required to become a member of the AmeriCorps VISTA Program. The AmeriCorps VISTA Program offers its Service Members a bi-weekly living allowance. After successfully completing the summer service term, members have the choice between the Segal Education Award of $1,342 or a cash stipend. For more information about the AmeriCorps VISTA program and to apply to AmeriCorps, please visit their website at www.nationalservice.gov. EEO.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In Coordination with Chief Mission Officer and Disaster Team assess each department within Catholic Charities to identify positions that need disaster training
- Re-write job descriptions to include disaster responsibilities
- Participate in disaster training and assist in creation of a training plan for staff
- Identify Disaster response Community Partners throughout our 21 counties
- Create a community partner resource list
- Assist with disaster relief if needed during summer
- Demonstrate a passion for the mission of Catholic Charities.
- Must be willing to perform by the agency’s values: love, patience, kindness, faithfulness, self-control, and joy.
- Catholic Charities promotes a diverse workforce. Employees are not required to be Catholic, however, employees of Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas must understand that they are a visible representative of the Archdiocesan Church and as such will not publicly oppose the teachings of the Catholic Faith nor publicly advocate for any position in conflict with Catholic teaching, or the specific positions of the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas or the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. This requirement includes any public speech, demonstration, or writing including the use of social media or other digital technologies.
- Must complete VIRTUS training, background screening, drug testing, and any ongoing training as required
- Must possess a valid Kansas or Missouri Driver’s license, dependable transportation, current vehicle insurance and a verified safe driving record.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to communicate and respect people from a variety of social, economic and ethnic backgrounds.
- Strong writing skills
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Competency with Excel, Google Sheets and PowerPoint is preferred
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer, standing, bending and moving.
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds
- Must have the physical ability to effectively communicate with others
- Must have the physical ability and appropriate licensure for driving