Director, Talent and Equity, Equal Justice USA Job in LeaderFit
Equal Justice USA
Director, Talent and Equity
About Equal Justice USA
Equal Justice USA (EJUSA) is a rapidly growing national organization working to transform the justice system by promoting responses to violence that break cycles of trauma. We work at the intersection of criminal justice, public health, and racial justice to elevate healing and safety over retribution, advance racial equity, and meet the needs of survivors. Our programs work to end the death penalty, expand community-based healing and violence prevention programs in impacted communities, reduce the scope of policing, and change the national narrative on violence and accountability. EJUSA has a bold vision for healing and equity that directly aligns with this urgent national moment – making this an exciting time to join our team and design the next phase of EJUSAs strategy.
EJUSA has 26 extraordinary staff members throughout the country and a small national office in Brooklyn. Were a diverse, passionate team that loves working together to deliver real change.
About the Position
EJUSA seeks a strategic and collaborative visionary with a strong race equity lens to join our HR team and help grow our organization with a focus on talent, recruitment, and DEI initiatives. Reporting to the Chief of Staff, the Director of Talent and Equity works collaboratively across the organization to ensure that EJUSA attracts, develops, and retains the world-class talent needed to achieve its mission and uphold the teams commitment to healing, equity, bridging divides, and partnership.
This is an exciting time to join EJUSA and play a key role in organizational growth as the first hire focused on talent and recruitment. In collaboration with the Chief of Staff, the Director of Finance and Administration and the Senior Operations Manager, the Director will lead EJUSAs efforts to identify, recruit, onboard, and retain talent across a variety of functions and programs and will work across the organization to support ongoing recruitment needs.
The Director will also be responsible for working collaboratively across EJUSA and in close partnership with the Racial Equity Leadership Team in identifying, developing, and implementing progressive organizational policies, practices, and systems that integrate diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) into all aspects of the talent function and into the culture of EJUSA.
The ideal candidate is a values-driven, flexible, and collaborative leader with a demonstrated track record of designing and executing progressive best-in-class Human Resources solutions across a growing national organization. They are a hands-on problem-solver who can excel in a broad role that requires both strategic thinking and attention to detail.
Recruiting, Onboarding, and Retention
- Design, implement, and fully integrate all aspects of EJUSAs people functions, ensuring the organization always has the right mix of passion, skills, and dopeness to achieve its bold mission
- Manage employee recruitment and retention activities and processes, including creating and maintaining current job descriptions, using Smart Recruiters to manage candidacy pools, and manage all aspects of the recruitment of a diverse workforce to support EJUSAs growth
- Lead all steps in searches using EJUSAs competency-based hiring process
- Ensure thorough and equitable search processes to identify qualified and diverse candidates are organizational cultural fits who are committed to EJUSAs mission and values of equity, healing, and bridging divides, and partnership
- Collaborate with hiring managers across the organization to implement recruitment, hiring, onboarding, and retention strategies that support diverse staffing and advancement
- Work with a core leadership group to develop and implement an effective and transparent performance evaluation system that enables clear measurement and accountability of desired outcomes
- Work with the hiring team to strengthen and systematize our current onboarding system
- Develop role-specific standards for success at all levels, from entry-level staff to senior leaders, that align with EJUSAs values and mission-impact goals; assess the skills and talents of existing staff and leaders; and develop training, guidance, and strategies via the organizations Level up program for professional development to help aspire to these standards
- Assist programs and staff in developing their professional capacity by identifying and providing resources, training, and learning opportunities internally and externally
- Drive EJUSAs efforts to create, revise, reform, and implement policies that shift organizational culture toward greater equity
- Promote a collaborative, inclusive, healing-centered, and effective culture that positions EJUSA to increase its reach and impact by harnessing the collective power of diversity, lived experience, talent, and expertise across the organization
- Help identify the ways the organization may be observing white supremacy culture and design strategies to name and dismantle them
- Foster and model a culture of personal, professional, and team development, creative problem solving, innovation, and openness to change
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Create and administer regular “equity audits” to ensure that all operations, programs, events, policies, and every layer of the organization centers equity internally and externally, especially for people most impacted by EJUSAs mission, and Black and Brown communities
- Make recommendations to the Management Team of organizational changes that center equity
- Ensure that policies and practices at the organizational level, internal and external, reflect EJUSAs commitment to diversity, equity, healing, and inclusion with transparent systems for accountability and feedback
- Cultivate and maintain a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment by identifying appropriate training and professional development opportunities for all staff
- Design and embed effective DEI strategies across the organization in conjunction with the Chief of Staff, staff, and senior leadership
Other duties as needed.
EJUSA encourages candidates who bring a diverse set of professional experiences to apply to this role.
- Proven track record of designing and implementing effective and culturally responsive diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives
- Ten years of related experience in recruitment, retention, and onboarding especially in diverse environments where the majority is people of color
- Strong commitment to EJUSAs mission and core values
- Proven ability in circle keeping, holding space, building collaboration, causing change, and developing and maintaining strong relationships
- Exceptional listening, reasoning, and strategic thinking skills
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to communicate clearly and concisely to a range of internal audiences
- Strong planning, organizational, problem solving, and project-management skills with a track record of getting result using collaborative and strategic project management and organizational skills
- Comfort with addressing conflict and facilitating discussions with multiple viewpoints
- Can work independently in a fast-paced environment and can prioritize and multi-task effectively
- Energetic, self-driven, curious, and relentlessly focused on building inclusive effective teams that are continually improving
- High standards of confidentiality, sound judgement, discretion, and diplomacy, with a high degree of personal integrity, including the ability to manage sensitive or confidential information
- Familiarity with Microsoft and web-based apps such as GoogleDocs; comfort working on a Mac or willingness to learn
Location: Remote (work from home)
Reports to : Chief of Staff
Deadline: Open until filled
The salary range is $95-$110k, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including employer-paid medical, vision, and dental care, retirement plan, 20 days paid vacation, 12 paid sick days, 11 paid holidays, 5 paid personal days, long-term disability insurance, and professional development allowance.
EJUSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage a diverse pool of candidates to apply, including those impacted by the issues we work on. We consider all applicants on the basis of their ability to perform the job, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, physical appearance, age, mental or physical disability, credit history, veteran status, uniform service member status, justice system involvement, victims of domestic violence, stalking, or other crimes, political affiliation, or any other legally protected class. EJUSA does not tolerate discrimination or harassment against any of the above classes listed.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $95,000.00 – $110,000.00 per year