Customer Support Representative
Please go to http://www.hacla.org/careers for details of this position and to apply.
Background Summary: The Customer Contact Center is the Housing Authority’s newly developed customer communication and information center. The goal is to provide a positive customer support experience for our clients. The Customer Support Representatives (CSR) will answer all inquiries and give applicable referrals when necessary. Success will be met as a team by well-trained CSR to enhance skill sets with the support of management. The CSR will be empowered and trained with the necessary program and business systems knowledge to use good judgement to engage our clientele and resolve issues.
The ideal candidate enjoys interacting with our clientele through the telephone (high volume), e-mail and/or in person and likes helping people. Professional and personal satisfaction is gained in knowing that our Clients, Residents and Owners received the very best assistance. You are energetic, polite, professional, good listener, patient and provide accurate and prompt service. Willing to go the extra mile to address concerns, resolve issues and build trust to meet customer service satisfaction and expectations with empathy. Have a good tone of voice and care on how information is delivered to assist our clientele. Leave behind preconceived notions about customer service delivery and seeing a new perspective from the customer’s view.
Characteristics of the class: Positions allocable to this classification work under general supervision to provide front line support to clients and members of the public by providing helpful information, answering questions and responding to concerns. Incumbents must have considerable knowledge and understanding of HUD guidelines and Authority Manuals pertaining to the administration of housing programs.
- Provide front-line support to clients and members of the public who contact the Authority by phone, email, in person (if feasible and as needed) or alternative communication methods*.
- Responsible for answering and responding to large volume of inbound and outbound* calls on a daily basis.
- Follow communication “scripts”, to the extent provided by management, when handling different topics.
- Identify and address clients’ needs by explaining procedures, and answering questions, researching pending issues(s) and providing solutions and/or alternatives based upon the data in the system.
- Inform and apply Housing Authority policies and procedures.
- Navigate, view, and update records in all Housing Authority systems including Yardi, Elite, and OnBase.
- Identify and refer issues to supervisors or back-office staff, as needed.
- Update and maintain detailed records of all conversations in a comprehensible manner.
- Provides excellent customer service by adhering to standards and guidelines.
- Meet qualitative and quantitative targets.
- Performs other essential job-related duties as required.
High school diploma or equivalent and two (2) years of increasingly responsible experience providing customer service support to low-income people in fields such as public housing, social welfare, public health, employment service, counseling, vocational guidance, or a related field an associates of arts degree from an accredited college may substitute for one year of experience.
- Proficient in relevant computer applications
- Experience in a call center environment
- Knowledge of customer service practices and principles
- Excellent data entry and typing skills
- Superior listening, verbal, and written communication skills
- Ability to handle stressful situation appropriately
Applications will be reviewed for relevant experience, education and training. Applications must be detailed and complete for proper evaluation. Resumes may be included but may not be submitted in lieu of application content. Only the MOST QUALIFIED APPLICANTS will be invited to the testing process, which may include any combination of oral, written and/or performance examination. Applicants must pass each phase of the testing process with a rate of 70% or higher to be placed on the Certified List. Generation of a Certified List does not mean that there are any vacant and available positions at this time. The Certified List will be available for not less than 12 consecutive calendar months.
T HE WRITTEN EXAMINATION FOR THIS POSITION WILL OCCUR ON July 26, 2023 . If you are invited to the examination process, you will receive an email from email@example.com NO LATER THAN Friday, July 21, 2023. This will be your only notice. There will be no changes to the date(s) of the examination.
Only applicants who have been placed on the certified eligibility list will be considered for job openings. Placement on the eligibility list is neither a guarantee of employment, nor is it an implied promise of work. All applicants referred from an eligibility list for selection interview(s) will be considered for the position however, only the best-qualified applicant(s) may be selected.
Candidates will start at STEP ONE of an eight step salary range unless there are special exceptions in accordance with the Personnel Rules.
If you require special testing accommodations due to a physical, mental or learning disability, please call (213) 252-5400. Special testing accommodations may be arranged if verification of the disability is provided by a physician, rehabilitation counselor, or other authority.
Candidates who require a reasonable accommodation in any portion of the selection process should state their need in writing when submitting an application.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
As a condition of new and continued employment, employees in this classification must participate in mandatory direct deposit of payroll.
Pursuant to the Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles Conflict of Interest Policy, new and existing employees are required to refrain from participating in activities, employment or enterprises, which are in conflict with public interest and/or with his or her duties as an employee of the Authority. A copy of the Conflict of Interest Policy may be obtained by visiting our website at:
http://www.hacla.org/Portals/0/Attachments/Others/ConflictofInterestPolicy.pdf (Download PDF reader)
Please call NeoGov Toll-Free Applicant Support telephone line (855) 524-5627 if you forget your password, have application login problems or get an error message during the application process.
- Medical/Dental/Vision Plan:
- HACLA will provide up to 100% of the CalPERS medical premium rate for Los Angeles, San Bernardino & Ventura Counties Kaiser rates for employee only, employee + one dependent, and employee + multiple dependents as applicable
- HACLA will provide 100% of basic Dental HMO rates for employee only, employee + one dependent, and employee + multiple dependents as applicable
- HACLA will provide 100% basic Vision coverage for employee only, employee + one dependent, and employee + multiple dependents as applicable
- $250 OPT OUT payment is available for employees with a qualifying health plan outside of the employer network.
- Employees have the option to choose additional optional insurance such as Dental PPO, Custom Vision, additional medical coverage, and voluntary additional life insurance.
- Short-Term Disability/Long-Term Disability/Mandatory Life:
- HACLA will provide 100% of STD/LTD/Mandatory Life premiums for all eligible employees to maintain the IRS 125 Plan
- Pension Plan:
- HACLA retirement plan is the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). Vesting is five (5) years.
- For Classic members, the pension formula is 2.7% at 55 with members contributing 8% of their wages towards their retirement.
- For PEPRA members, the pension formula is 2% at 62, with members contributing 7% of their wages towards their retirement.
- CalPERS will make the determination regarding the type of membership for which the eligible employee will qualify.
- General Leave/Holidays/PTO:
- Annual leave accruals vary, depending upon the type of job/position (membership in employee organizational group) and years of service. Length of service increases accrual rates by employee organizational group when service requirements are met.
- Newly Hired Annual Accruals:
- At-Will/Non-Represented accrual per pay period 5.23 hours (17 days annually)
- Council of Housing Professionals-Management accrual per pay period 4.15 hours (14 days annually)
- Council of Housing Professionals-Administration accrual per pay period 6.78 hours (22 days annually)
- Service Employees International Union (Local 721) accrual per pay period 6.78 hours (22 days annually)
- Los Angeles County Building and Construction Trades Council accrual per pay period 5.23 hours (17 days annually)
- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees accrual per pay period 6.78 hours (22 days annually)
- 14 Observed Holidays:
- New Years Eve New Years Day Martin Luther King Jr’s Birthday Presidents Day Cesar Chavez Day Memorial Day Juneteenth Independence Day Labor Day Veteran’s Day Thanksgiving Day Day After Thanksgiving Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
- 12 Floating Holiday hours annually
- Opportunity to earn up to 120 hours of Paid Time Off (PTO) for eligible exempt employees as comp time per calendar year. Employees may cash out up to 120 hours of accrued and unused PTO annually.
- Additional Optional Benefits:
- Pre-Tax Deferred Compensation 457 Plan
- Group term life insurance
- Flexible Spending Account Options
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Work Schedules
- Partial Telework Program
- Temporary Casual/Per-Diem employee are eligible to enroll/recieve the following benefits:
- Kaiser Medical Insurance – 50% employer covered medical through Kaiser Permanente if working 30 hours or more per week.
- Paid Sick Time – 3 days of sick leave after 90 days of employment.
- Eligible casual employees may enter as Classifc or PEPRA members if qualifying requirements are met.
- Per-Diem employees are not eligible for the Public Employee Retirement System (PERS).
*Availability of benefits are dependent upon employment eligibility status with HACLA*