COMMUNITY ORGANIZER (CAPS)
Chicago Police Department
Number of Positions: 4
This position is open to the public and all current city employees covered under the City’s Collective Bargaining Agreement with AMERICAN FEDERATION OF STATE, COUNTY, AND MUNICIPAL EMPLOYEES (AFSCME) – BARGAINING UNIT 1, 3, 4 & 5. Only employees in City job titles in this bargaining unit are eligible to bid.
BID INSTRUCTIONS: Apply on the bid site: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/103/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en AND
1. Check the box on your profile titled “Currently employed by the City of Chicago”
2. Enter your employee ID (located on your pay stub labeled ‘payee/employee number’)
3. Select your correct bargaining unit
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
Under general supervision, the class works with a variety of community organizations and groups to develop the community’s capacity to participate effectively in CAPS and related neighborhood safety strategies and performs related duties as required.
- Acts as a key liaison between community members and residents of a police district and the Chicago Police Department.
- Develops and implements plans for recruiting and organizing community residents, including leading public engagements, conversations with residents, and designing public action campaigns focusing on local problems
- Supports, attends and participates in beat community and District Advisory Committee meetings
- Facilitates problem solving between Police Department staff, city departments, community service providers and community residents, working to resolve identified problems and bring about change
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with community leaders.
- Prepares and distributes informational brochures and pamphlets relating to program activities
- Provides materials and supplies to assist communities in understanding and implementing CPD’s Community Policing program
Location: Various Locations – assigned to a district office
Days: Tuesday – Thursday – 12:00pm – 8:00pm
Friday – Saturday – 9:00am – 5:00pm
Sunday – Monday – Off
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelors degree in the Social Sciences or related degree supplemented by one year of community organizing, community outreach, social service or community-based work experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience is required
This position requires applicants to complete an interview which will include a written exercise and/or a skills assessment test as part of the interview. The interviewed candidate(s) possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, based on the oral and written parts of the interview will be selected
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
- Previous experience facilitating discussions with community service providers, residents and other stakeholders
- Previous experience detecting and resolving problems between various stakeholders
- Proficiency using MS Office Suite
- Spanish Speaking
- State of Illinois Drivers License
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ANY AND ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer
City of Chicago Department of Human Resources
Brandon Johnson, Mayor Christopher Owen, Commissioner
Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59p.m. CDT on 7/17/2023.