Apply Here Job Description :
Last Date For Apply: 2022-04-25 11:04:14 Job Type : Full Time, Employment Type : PermanentApply Here
- Amended 4-22-21: Added Part Time and Permanent to Job Preferences and included immediate vacancies
- Amended 1-5-21: Monthly Salary
- COMMUNICATION AIDE
$2,639.16* per month (SR-12)
- A School Year Differential of $116.12 per month will be added to the base salary for all 10-month positions, contingent upon funding.
Maui District, Island of Maui, Molokai and Lanai
- The immediate vacancies are located at Maui District. (Permanent, Part-time Temporary, Full-time).
- Employment Opportunities in Temporary Positions
Some vacant positions may be temporary. Temporary positions may be extended year to year, dependent upon funding and departmental needs. Making yourself available for temporary positions increases your employment possibilities and may lead to permanent opportunities. A person hired for a temporary position may also become a temporary employee upon satisfactory completion of the initial probation period of at least six months. Once a temporary employee, you would be eligible to apply for promotion and transfer opportunities to permanent as well as other temporary positions. You may also enjoy other rights and benefits as afforded to an employee in a permanent position, with the exception of return rights and placement rights associated with a reduction-in-force.
- Independently provides remedial activities (e.g., reinforcement lessons and repetitive drills) in speech and/or language correction, in accordance with educational/treatment plans developed by a Speech Pathologist, to students with speech and/or language disorders and/or problems and performs other related duties as assigned.
- Applicants must meet all the requirements for the position they are seeking as of the date of the application, unless otherwise specified. Unless specifically indicated, the required education and experience may not be gained concurrently.
Note: Calculation of experience is based on full-time, 40-hour workweeks. Part-time experience is pro-rated. Example: Twelve months of experience at 20 hours/week is equivalent to six months of experience, not one year. Also, hours worked in excess of 40 hours/week will not be credited. Example: Twelve months of experience at 60 hours/week is equivalent to one year of experience, not one and a half years.
To qualify, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Basic Education Requirements:
Graduation from high school or equivalent.
In addition, the following minimum education requirements have been established within the parameters described by the Federal Governments No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
1) 48 semester credits, baccalaureate level courses, from an accredited institution of higher education recognized by the Hawaii Department of Education. The forty-eight (48) credits may be from various program or academic subject areas. In addition, of the 48 credits from baccalaureate level courses, 3 must have been for math and 3 for English courses.
2) An Associate in Arts (AA) or Science (AS) degree or higher from an accredited institution recognized by the Hawaii Department of Education. The credits earned for the degree must include a minimum of 48 credits for courses that are baccalaureate level.
3) Successful completion of the ParaPro Assessment provided by the Education Testing Service (ETS).
Except for the substitutions provided for in this specification, applicants must have had progressively responsible experience of the kind and quality described in the statements below and in the amounts shown below, or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
General Experience: Two (2) years** of work experience which involved providing supportive services to professional personnel directly engaged in the academic, personal, social and/or vocational development of children. The experience must have involved direct interaction with individuals, and at least one (1) year of this experience must have included some involvement in assisting in the learning activities of children (e.g., assisting children in drills and in learning specific skills observing and reporting on childrens difficulties and progress assisting in reading exercises, etc.).
Specialized Experience: One (1) year** of progressively responsible work experience which involved assisting a Speech Pathologist in implementing educational/treatment plans for individuals with speech and language disorders and/or problems. This experience must have involved providing remedial activities (e.g., reinforcement lessons and repetitive drills) in speech and language correction, under the direct and close supervision of the Speech Pathologist.
Further, such experience must have provided the applicant with knowledge of common speech and language problems and disorders basic goals and objectives of speech and language services basic child development, as it related to speech and language basic instruction/remedial techniques used in speech and language correction and the ability to adapt and devise materials and activities to meet individual needs.
**A school year of approximately 180 teacher duty days, or approximately 38 weeks per year, is considered equivalent to one (1) year of required work experience.
Special Requirement: Applicants must demonstrate the ability to hear and speak (i.e., articulate and enunciate sounds, words, phrases and sentences clearly) the English language properly, in order to effectively perform the duties and responsibilities of the class.
Substitution of Education for Experience:
1. Successful completion of one (1) year of the Associate in Science program for Teacher Aide at an accredited community college that did not include the completion of practicum involving the provision of instruction-related activities may be substituted for the one (1) year of General Experience that did not involve assisting in the learning activities of children.
2. Successful completion of (1) year of the Associate in Science program in Teacher Aide at an accredited community college which included the completion of practicum involving the provision of instruction-related activities may be substituted for one (1) year of General Experience including the experience which involved assisting in the learning activities of children.
3. Possession of an Associate in Science degree in Teacher Aide from an accredited community college that included successful completion of practicum that involved the provision of instruction-related activities may be substituted for all the General Experience.
4. Possession of a bachelors degree in education or its equivalent from an accredited college or university may be substituted for all of the General Experience.
5. Possession of a bachelors degree in speech pathology and audiology from an accredited college or university may be substituted for all of the required experience.
Quality of Experience:
Possession of the required number of years of experience will not in itself be accepted as proof of qualification for a position. The applicants overall experience must have been of such scope and level of responsibility as to conclusively demonstrate the ability to perform the duties of the position.
Applicants will be required to possess a valid license to drive in the State of Hawaii.
- All documents submitted to us become the property of the Department of Education.