COMMODITIES MANAGER – K12 SCHOOLS – CHARLOTTE, NC – REMOTE
Position Title: COMMODITIES MANAGER – K12 SCHOOLS – CHARLOTTE, NC – REMOTE
Reports to: Director of Purchasing, K-12 Commodities
Salary: $100k – $110k
Other Forms of Compensation: Bonus eligibility
Chartwells K12s goal is to make sure students leave the cafeteria happier and healthier than they came in, by serving food kids love to eat and creating custom dining programs. With more than 16,000 associates in 4,300 schools, ranging from large public institutions to small charter and private schools, Chartwells K12 is built on decades of food, education and operational experience driven by top culinary, nutrition, wellness, and sustainability talent. For more information, visit www.ChartwellsK12.com.
This position is eligible for an Employee Referral Bonus! If you know someone that is qualified for this role, please use the ‘job search’ in MyOpportunity to refer your referral and email them a link to apply. Your referral will be able to apply by clicking the link in the email then you can check the status under Careers in MyOpportunity by clicking on ‘referral tracking.’ For Employee Referral guidelines, FAQs and the Compass Employee Referral Policy, email MyReferral@compass-usa.com. Click here to view the step-by-step instructions to refer a friend to this position.
This position will be remote based with a preference to work in Charlotte, NC
This position is responsible for leading, directing and managing all aspects of the Food Service Commodity Program for Chartwells K12 to optimize profitability, develop business opportunities, maximize our competitive advantage and market the commodity program to operators while ensuring full compliance within Federal guidelines. This Manager is the expert on all matters related to USDA commodities.
- Act as the working expert on USDA commodities and proactively identify implications to the company, including areas such as: commodity pricing, offerings, regulatory considerations, audit requirements, competitive set, benefits derived frmt he program and government bid processes.
- Ensure regulatory compliance with USDA (FNS) through continual review of current regulations
- Engage with procurement and sourcing teams on all activities that involve USDA commodity diversions
- Create reporting system for schools to input and track annual commodity entitlements and diversion allocations
- Establish relationships with state and manufacturer commodity leadership, seek out bonus commodity opportunities where applicable
- Analyze monthly purchasing and commodity reporting, identify trends and opportunities
- Review all co-op purchasing agreements, Fee for Service vendors, and direct buy contracts
- Review all non-contracted commodity exceptions with regional leadership, identify opportunities to move to a contracted alternative
- Develop, lead and train the annual commodity diversion strategy to field operations teams
- Create YOY financial reporting of commodity diversions, present results to leadership
- Key Relationship Manager with USDA, State Agencies, outside companies, and distributors that administer or engage with the USDA Commodity Processing Program, and actively participate in industry organizations that support the USDA Commodity Program
- Work directly with Culinary and Nutrition teams on menu development to maximize commodity entitlement funding
- Bachelors degree in a related subject
- 5 years of experience working with USDA commodities
- Detailed understanding of USDA entitlement allocations
- Understanding of pricing and volume allowances
- Detail oriented with great organizational skills
- Must be experienced and proficient with computer software, to include Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of school nutrition policies
- Experience in creating and executing national training programs for all levels
- Ability to communicate, execute and apply company directives, policies and best practices relative to USDA commodities
Apply to Chartwells Schools today!
Chartwells Schools is a member of Compass Group USA
Click here to Learn More about the Compass Story
Compass Group is an equal opportunity employer. At Compass, we are committed to treating all Applicants and Associates fairly based on their abilities, achievements, and experience without regard to race, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by law.
Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily with or without a reasonable accommodation. Disclaimer: this job post is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all essential responsibilities, skills, tasks, or requirements associated with this position. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the position posted, the Company reserves the right to modify or change the essential functions of the job based on business necessity. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with a criminal history (including relevant driving history), in a manner consistent with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, and the New York Fair Chance Act. We encourage applicants with a criminal history (and driving history) to apply.
Chartwells K-12 maintains a drug-free workplace.
Associates at Chartwells K-12 are offered many fantastic benefits.
- Life Insurance/ AD
- Disability Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Holiday Time Off (varies by site/state)
- Associate Shopping Program
- Health and Wellness Programs
- Discount Marketplace
- Identity Theft Protection
- Pet Insurance
- Commuter Benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
SALARIED EXEMPT: Vacation Full-time & Part-time Full-time only 1st year up to 10 days 1 st year up to 15 days Holidays Full-time & Part-time Up to 10 paid holidays per calendar year *This information is subject to change. If there is a conflict between the amounts listed and the company policy, the company policy will prevail.