COMMANDER (Training Academy)
THIS POSITION IS ONLY OPEN TO CAREER SERVICE UNIFORMED MEMBERS OF THE CHICAGO FIRE DEPARTMENT
Number of Vacancies: 1
Under direction, of the Assistant Deputy Fire Commissioner of Training and/or Designee, functions as a uniformed technical specialist performing a variety of high level administrative and operational functions to assist in the management of the Quinn Fire Academy within the Chicago Fire Department, and performs related duties as required.
- Serves as an intermediary between uniformed field personnel, division heads, and department management in the resolution of problems and complaints
- Interprets, explains, and enforces department and City policies and procedures, general orders, and the collective bargaining agreement
- Tracks and monitors budget allocations and expenditures, and participates in the preparation of grant applications
- Conducts research and prepares reports for management to remain abreast of best practices and new technologies and developments in specified specialty areas
- Represents the Chicago Fire Department at local, state, and federal task forces, conferences and planning meetings
- Responsible for maintaining the chain of command and giving direct orders to members, as required
- Responsible for the supervision and discipline of subordinate personnel assigned or detailed to the Chicago Fire Department (CFD) Quinn Fire Academy of the Training Division.
- Develops schedules and coordinates training associated with candidates, Engineers, Lieutenants, Captains and Battalion Chiefs prior to promotion.
- Works with the Commanders of EMS Training and Field Training to recruit and train instructors for the needs of candidate training.
- Works with the Commanders of EMS Training and Field Training to recruit and train instructors for the needs of field training.
- Works under the direction of the ADFC of Training with Commander of EMS Training and Field Training to ensure all training activities and schedules are coordinated and working harmoniously.
- Works closely with other CFD Bureaus and Divisions, Department of General Services, contracted security and building maintenance firms and other non-CFD agencies and firms to assure maintenance and security of the Quinn Fire Academy assets.
- Oversee the operations at the Quinn Fire Academy when the facility is used as a Secondary Command Post.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the Chicago Fire Department rules, regulations, practices and procedures and the Labor Contract.
- Works with other Training Commanders in order to execute the development and production of all department training materials and the maintenance of training records.
- Works as an assistant project manager for grants associated with the position.
Additional duties may be required for this position.
Location: Training Division, Robert J. Quinn Fire Academy
558 West DeKoven Street
Hours: Varies according to operational needs
THIS POSITION IS CAREER SERVICE
Career Service status as a uniformed member of the Chicago Fire Department is required. Ten (10) years as a uniformed member of the Chicago Fire Department with a minimum career service rank Lieutenant/Paramedic or Lieutenant/EMT.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelors degree supplemented by one year of training work experience, or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Office of the State Fire Marshal Instructor I and II certification.
- Office of the State Fire Marshal Fire Service Vehicle Operator (FSVO) certification.
- Office of the State Fire Marshal Vehicle and Machinery Operations certification.
- Office of the State Fire Marshal Advanced Technician Firefighter or Firefighter III certification.
- Office of the State Fire Marshal Strategy and Tactics I class.
- A valid State of Illinois drivers license is required
This position requires applicants to complete an interview. The interviewed candidate(s) possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, based on the interview will be selected.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
- Experience with TeleStaff
- Familiarity with the Office of the State Fire Marshals policies and procedures
- Experience with record keeping and file management
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office programs PowerPoint, Word, SharePoint, and Excel
- Five years (5) as an OSFM certified instructor.
- Previous work experience at the Quinn Training Academy as an Instructor
- Previous work experience with teaching the disciplines associated with obtaining the Basic Operations Firefighter and Advance Technician Firefighter certification.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
City of Chicago Department of Human Resources
Brandon Johnson, Mayor Kathleen Deane, Acting Commissioner
Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59 pm CDT on 07/19/23.