Our partner, Inventionland Education, is seeking an artist to create the illustrations for a children’s comic book. There are currently two published issues of the comic series with plans to continue with future installments. The position is freelance and ongoing as the comic characters have been integrated into the Inventionland Education Curriculum Program. The position will require the ability to adapt to the previously utilized art style in order to keep the illustrations consistent throughout the series. Candidates should have a strong understanding of industry and content standards. The ideal candidate will work collaboratively with our creative team to produce a comic book that is both educational and entertaining.
About the Client
Inventionland Education is powered by a 30-year history of creating innovative solutions and helping corporations turn ideas into actual products. The Inventionland Institute Curriculum follows a real-world proven 9-step method that takes student ideas from concept to working model to the business pitch.
The Inventionland Institute Curriculum is designed for cross-discipline, interactive learning to inspire and build confidence in students from diverse backgrounds and abilities. Based in Pennsylvania, the courses are aligned to state and national standards and are highly flexible to meet various grades, schedules, and delivery models.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Create full-color illustrations for children’s comic book from start to finish
- Use previous issues as a reference to replicate the art style for consistency and continuity
- Work collaboratively with our creative team to set deadlines, track progress, and troubleshoot any issues throughout the process
- Create accompanying artwork for any curriculum materials utilizing the comic book characters
- Continue to work with Inventionland Education on future comic book installments and curriculum materials on a freelance ongoing basis
What We Need:
- Strong art portfolio exhibiting exceptional skills in a variety of art styles
- Experience creating artwork for comic books or children’s books (1+ years experience preferred)
- Understanding and experience with each step of the comic art development process (drawing, inking, coloring, lettering, background art). If you have a background artist you prefer to work with, this is also acceptable.
- Ability to adapt to the desired art style
- Highly motivated and eager to take on challenges
- Ability to take direction well
- Consistent and responsive to deadlines
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work remotely
- Ability to work collaboratively with a creative team
- Availability to work on future comic issues and curriculum materials
Nice to Have
- Experience in education, STEM/STEAM learning, or curriculum material
- Located in or near Pittsburgh, PA
Pays & Perks:
- Freelance, completely remote role
- Potential for ongoing consistent illustration work
- Competitive compensation
- Ability to have your artwork featured in schools around the country
- Be part of a project designed to inspire students to get excited about learning
Flying Cork is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or military or veteran status in accordance with federal law. In addition, the Company complies with applicable state and local laws governing non?discrimination in employment in every jurisdiction in which it maintains facilities. The Company also provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities, pregnant individuals, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in accordance with applicable laws.