Forbes List of Americas Best Employers 2018
Move forward with us! At NJ TRANSIT, you’ll join us in transforming the third-largest transportation agency in North America. We are committed to delivering safe, reliable service that gets our customers to their destinations on time—and we’re looking to hire talented folks with a love of learning to make it all possible.
Bridge operators maintain and inspect bridge equipment, direct marine traffic, and operate the movable bridge as needed.
Duties & Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Bridge Operators, under direct supervision, assist in the operation, care and maintenance of a movable bridge.
Operate movable railroad bridge
- Assist other Bridge Operators by signaling to open and close the bridge at the approach and the passing of vessels
- Report any malfunctions and/or obstructions that would hamper bridge operation
- Inspect bridge and bridge approaches and report to the supervisor unusual incidents or newly found defects in the bridge structure
- Sweep and clean bridge houses and engine rooms
- Filling out daily bridge logs / reports
- Communicate with on-coming marine traffic and dispatchers, and other departments
- May have to drive a motor vehicle to and from various bridges to perform assigned work
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED
- Clean and valid Driver’s License
- Ability to work independently
- Good communication skills are essential
This is a Unionized position.
Rate of pay:
The pay rates may be tiered based on years and types of experience and are non-negotiable. The 100% tiered rate is $29.15/hour.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Advancement Opportunities and Wage Progression
- Comprehensive Family Health Insurance – Medical, Dental, Prescription, Vision
- Flexible Spending Account
- Paid Leave and Paid Time Off (personal, sick, and vacation days)
- Life Insurance
- 401(a) Retirement Plan with % match and 457-Deferred Savings Plan
- U.S. Railroad Retirement Benefits (RRB)
At NJ Transit we support and depend upon the diversity of our staff. NJ TRANSIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer.