Authorization Specialist Job in UPMC
To perform authorization activities of inpatient, outpatient and emergency department patients, denial management and all revenue functions. Need to demonstrate, through actions, a consistent performance standard of excellence to which all work is to conform. The expertise of the Authorization Specialist shall include working knowledge in the area of authorization related activities including pre-authorizations, notifications, edits, denials, etc. The Authorization Specialist shall demonstrate the philosophy and core values of UPMC in the performance of duties.
This position is located at UPMC Childrens Hospital of Pittsburgh
Working with patients and families with both Endocrine and Diabetes diagnoses. Opportunity to help families navigate through the insurance process and provide essential medication and supplies. Will also download essential patient information to providers during clinic appointment to help make medication adjustment decisions. Have some face-to-face interaction with families it is not all on the phone.
The position may also require travel to another satellite location 1 day per week. This position will work Monday – Friday, daylight. No evenings, weekends, or holidays!
- Prior authorization responsibilities1. Reviews and interprets medical record documentation for patient history, diagnosis, and previous treatment plans to pre-authorize insurance plan determined procedures to avoid financial penalties to patient, provider and facility. 2. Utilizes payor-specific approved criteria or state laws and regulations to determine medical necessity or the clinical appropriateness for inpatient admissions, outpatient facility, office services, durable medical equipment, and drugs in terms of type, frequency, extent, site and duration, and considered effective for the patients illness, injury, or disease. 3. Ensures accurate coding of the diagnosis, procedure, and services being rendered using ICD-9-CM, CPT, and HCPCS Level II. 4. Provides referral/pre-notification/authorization services timely to avoid unnecessary delays in treatment and reduce excessive nonclinical administrative time required of providers. 5. Submits pertinent demographic and supporting clinical data to payor to request approval for services being rendered.
- General responsibilities:1. Maintains compliance with departmental quality standards and productivity measures. 2. Works collaboratively with internal and external contacts specifically, Physician Services and Hospital Division, across UPMC as well as payors to enhance customer satisfaction and process compliance, ensuring the seamless coordination of work and to avoid a negative financial impact.3. Utilizes 18+ UPMC system and insurance payor or contracted provider web sites to perform prior authorization, edit, and denial services.4. Utilize authorization resources along with any other applicable reference material to obtain accurate prior authorization.
- Retrospective authorization responsibilities1. Resolves basic authorization edits to ensure timely claim filing and elimination of payor rejections and or denials.
- High School diploma or equivalent with 2 years working experience in a medical environment (such as a hospital, doctors office, or ambulatory clinic)
- OR an Associates degree and 1 year of experience in a medical environment required.
- (Bachelors degree (B.A) preferred)
- Completion of a medical terminology course (or equivalent) required.
- Knowledge and interpretation of medical terminology, ICD-9, and CPT codes.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to analyze data and use independent judgment.
- Understanding of authorization processes, insurance guidelines, third party payors, and reimbursement practices.
- Experience utilizing a web-based computerized system.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- Act 31 Child Abuse Reporting with renewal
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCs COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this page to learn more.
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
UPMC has a Center for Engagement and Inclusion that is charged with executing leading-edge and next-generation diversity strategies to advance the organizations diversity management capability and its national presence as a diversity leader. This includes having Employee Resource Groups, such as PRIDE Health or UPMC ENABLED (Empowering Abilities and Leveraging Differences) Network, which support the implementation of our diversity strategy.