Administrative Secretary (T)
Performs administrative secretary duties under the guidance of an administrator. Provides support services to administrator by supplying specific information, composing reports and correspondence, and taking initiative to recommend actions, or by taking action in modifying and/or improving unit procedures, policies, rules and regulations. May offer some clerical support to administrative superior, often in matters which must remain confidential.
This announcement is NOT for a specific vacancy or location. We are creating a list of applicants for future vacancies. If you qualify, your application and test record will be active for six months. You are not required to re-test as long as your record is active. Your opportunity for agency referral and possible interview may depend on the number of qualified applicants and their test results.
How to Apply: Apply online. We no longer accept paper applications without prior approval. You may apply from any internet connected computer. Public access computers are available at many libraries, and at Workforce WV offices. If you must use a paper application due to disability call our office for instructions.
This job (Administrative Secretary) is a tested position (T) which requires an online examination and a typing test. All examinations are administered online. Once your application is received, you will receive a notification from CourseMill. You must complete the online examination within 10 days of receiving your notification or your application will be inactivated. The online typing instructions will be available for you to download and print when you log in to your online test.
DO NOT APPLY UNLESS YOU CAN TEST WITHIN 10 DAYS after receiving your notification from CourseMill. Online applicants who do not test within 10 days of receiving this notification will be inactivated. There is a 30 day re-test waiting period. Caution: Any time you re-take the same test your new score, whether higher or lower, will automatically replace any previous test scores.
Note: The same examination is used for: Office Assistant 1, 2 , 3 (non-typing and typing), Secretary 1 & 2 , Administrative Secretary, and Imaging Operator 1. YOU MUST APPLY FOR EACH TITLE SEPARATELY. YOU MUST APPLY PRIOR TO TESTING. You only need to take the test once to be scored for the titles for which you have applied. NOTE: If you have already taken this test for any of the above job titles within the past 30 days and want to be considered for additional titles, contact our office for instructions on how to have your current test scores applied to those titles.
TYPING TEST: This position requires an online typing test you must take the typing test within 10 days to avoid expiration of the Access Code. The typing instructions will address accessing the special typing test website with an Access Code
NOTE: If you have already taken the typing test for Data Entry Operator OR any of the above job titles within the past 30 days and want to be considered for additional titles, contact our office for instructions on how to have your current test scores applied to those titles.
If you have previously applied for this job and simply want to update your ID (name, address, etc.), work preferences, or county availability, do not re-apply. Instead, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Attends meetings for supervisor to take notes and offer input vis-a-vis supervisors views, or is briefed on meetings after the fact in order to assist the implementation of new procedures.
- Studies and analyzes operational procedures prepares reports of findings and recommendations for implementation of new procedures or the modification of existing procedures.
- Collects and prepares operating reports such as time and attendance records, terminations, new hires, transfers, budget expenditures, and statistical inquiries.
- Receives telephone calls, personal callers and incoming mail.
- Makes arrangements for conferences, including date, time, location and space.
- Plans, schedules, assigns, and reviews the work of other employees.
- Oversees office services such as the completion of maintenance reports, ordering of supplies, filing.
- Supplies administrator with specific detailed information for completion of reports, speeches, etc.
- Types a variety of documents, often confidential in nature.
- May conduct initial job interviews and recommend candidates for employment.
- May monitor particular programs, draft reports on programs status, assist in applications for grants or outside monies, and draft correspondence for division heads concerning the programs areas.
- May delegate work to other sections.
- May write news releases and otherwise interact with the public on behalf of or in lieu of the administrator.
- Knowledge of division rules, regulations and procedures.
- Knowledge of modern office practices.
- Ability to write and maintain detailed records.
- Ability to retrieve and compile information from multiple sources to complete assignments.
- Ability to draft correspondence dealing with routine inquiries or specific inquiries regarding the status of program areas.
- Ability to communicate effectively with superiors, subordinates, other division personnel and the general public.
- Ability to analyze operational procedures and prepare reports of findings and recommendations for modifications.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical operations.
- Ability to type and operate a variety of office machines.
Training: Graduation from a standard four-year high school or the equivalent.
Experience: Six years of full-time or equivalent part-time paid experience in secretarial work, two years must have included administrative support or complex clerical duties.
Substitution: Successful full-time study in a regionally accredited college or university, or resident business or vocational school training may be substituted through an established formula for the required experience.
NOTICE: If you are claiming college or other post-high school education or license, you MUST attach or provide by mail a legible copy of your OFFICIAL education transcript, license or training record. YOU WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR EMPLOYMENT UNTIL THIS VERIFICATION HAS BEEN RECEIVED. To avoid missing a job opportunity, it is important that you provide this verification as soon as possible. You only have to provide this verification one time. It is not required with every application. Attach documents to the online application, or via email to: email@example.com, FAX: 304-957-0396, or mail to: Division of Personnel, Building 3, Suite 500, 1900 Kanawha Blvd. E., Charleston, WV 25305.